Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Skateboarder has Become a Man

As you know my son Vincent is a very talented
skateboarder, chess player, tennis player, and
basketball player. To my dismay, skateboarding has
won out. Yet, I continue to support him. It's his
drive and I don't want to put a hault on something
that frees his Spirit. I just want his Spirit to
remember he's got a body to live in.

Vincent went to a skate boarder's demonstration at Los
Altos park. A number of Pro's came out. They can do
some fancy tricks that put my heart in my throat--"I
know some day my son is going to try that one".

I didn't go to the demonstration. It unnerves me.
Let's say I come real close to fainting. I figure
what I don't see my son try will do me and my heart
some good. My good friend's husband took Vincent and
his son to the event. Later in the day my friend's
husband visited me while I was attending dance class
and informed me that "There's Drama at your House.
Vincent broke his wrist during a funky skateboarding
Move"

Vincent's father, Tony, took care of everything. They
went to emergency and Tony got instructions about what
to do for his arm. I'm so glad he took care of
things. The nurse would have had to pull out the
smelling salt for me.

When I got home they had just arrived from emergency.
Vincent was all wrapped up with this big smile on his
face. I said, "Oh Vincent, are you alright? I heard
you broke your wrist." He chuckled and said, " Yeah,
I broke my wrist and arm in two place. Plus, I
chipped my elbow." To say the least I fainted.

He became an instant celebrity during the accident.
All the pros talked to him and shared their skating
injuries, he got free t-shirts and sneakers and the
pros signed his broken skateboard--I think he's gonna
frame it. He told me his sneakers are worth twice
it's value because of an autograph along the rubber.

He's entered the skateboarder's hall of MANHOOD--and
all I can think about is what manhood is going to look
like when the painkillers wear off and his arm itches
under the cast. And yes, how supportive of
skateboarding am I going to be during the
nursing-him-to-health period after we receive the
medical bill. All in all Vincent is doing fine. When
you get a chance would you drop him a "I'm thinking of
you line?"

No comments:

Post a Comment